Monday, December 26, 2022

Highest Unemployment Since The Depression

Here's Jesse Walker's latest list, from 1982.

https://jessewalker.blogspot.com/2022/12/mostly-on-edge-i-have-reeled-off-my.html

As he notes, a good year, though not for Hollywood.  Let's see if he's right:

1. Fanny And Alexander

2. Danton

3. Blade Runner

4. Fitzcarraldo

5. Dimensions Of Dialogue

6. Say Amen, Somebody

7. Veronika Voss

8. Forbidden Zone

9. The Draughtman's Contract

10. The Thing

I just caught a bit of Fanny And Alexander last week.  While I like it, I don't consider it the best of Bergman or of 1982.

Still haven't seen Danton or Forbidden Zone.  I have no excuse.

Blade Runner is like [fill in blank for joke]--dumb but good-looking.

Fitzcarraldo is okay.  I prefer Burden Of Dreams, the documentary about the making of the film--I'm guessing we're going to see that title below.

Dimensions Of Dialogue is great, but a short.

Say Amen, Somebody is a fine documentary.

I like Veronika Voss and The Draughtsman's Contract, though I haven't seen them in years.  Really need to see them again.

I've got problems with The Thing, but it looks better today than it did then.


Here are his honorable mentions:

11. Burden Of Dreams

12. Moonlighting

13. Liquid Sky

14. The Verdict

15. Honkytonk Man

16. Down To The Cellar

17. The Atomic Cafe

18. Vincent

19. The Return Of Martin Guerre

20. Fast Times At Ridgemont High

Re 11--what did I tell you?  I like 12. I like 13. Don't like 14.  Don't like 15. 16--a short, but wow, what a year for Svankmajer.  I like 17.  18 is another short, this one announcing a new talent. I kind of like 19.  I like parts of 20, but it's no classic.


Here are some other films of 1982 that would make my top ten:

Diner

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

Shaolin Temple

Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan

Tootsie


Here are some other film of the year I liked:


48 Hrs., Eating Raoul, Ladies And Gentlemen The Fabulous Stains, Koyaanisqatsi, Monty Python Live At The Hollywood Bowl, The Night Of Shooting Stars, Night Shift, Privates On Parade, Rocky IIIThe Secret Policeman's Other Ball, Swamp Thing, Smithereens, The Sword And The Sorcerer, Tempest, That Night In Varennes, Tron


Other 1982 films of note:

Airplane II: The Sequel, Android, Annie, The Beastmaster, Le Beau Marriage, Best Friends, The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas, The Best Of Friends, Brimstone And Treacle, Cafe Flesh, Cat People, Chan Is Missing, Class Of 1984, Come Back To The Five And Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean, Conan The Barbarian, Creepshow, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, Death Wish II, Deathtrap, The Escape Artist, Evil Under The Sun, Firefox, First Blood, Flight Of The Eagle, Frances, Friday The 13th Part IIIGandhi, Grease 2, The Grey Fox, Hanky Panky, Human Highway, I'm Dancing As Fast As I Can, It Came From Hollywood, It's Your Move, Jinxed!, Kiss Me Goodbye, The Last American VirginA Little Sex, Lookin' To Get Out, Making Love, The Man From Snowy River, A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy, Missing, The Missionary, My Favorite Year, Neil Simon's I Ought To Be In Pictures, Not A Love Story, An Officer And A Gentleman, Partners, Personal Best, Pink Floyd--The Wall, The Pirate Movie, Poltergeist, Porky's, Richard Pryor: Live On The Sunset Strip, Savannah Smiles, The Secret Of NIMH, The Shaolin Drunken Monk, Shoot The Moon, Some Kind Of Hero, Sophie's Choice, Still Of The Night, Tex, That Championship Season, They Call Me Bruce?, The Toy, Tragedy Of A Ridiculous Man, Trail Of The Pink Panther, The Weavers: Wasn't That A Time!, White Dog, The World According To Garp, The Year Of Living Dangerously, Yes, Giorgio, Young Doctors In Love, Zapped!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Films of note you might take a second look at.

Chan Is Missing. Deathtrap. Frances. Gandhi. Missing. My Favorite Year. Porky's. Sophie's Choice. Tex. The Weavers: Wasn't That A Time! White Dog. The Year Of Living Dangerously.

5:34 PM, December 26, 2022  
Blogger Jesse said...

DINER and E.T. and TOOTSIE are all solidly entertaining, the sorts of movies that might have made my top 10 if I was limiting the list to mainstream Hollywood productions. But...it wasn't a great year for mainstream Hollywood productions.

6:56 PM, December 26, 2022  
Blogger Bream Halibut said...

My wife took our daughter to a screening of ET and said it was really good. Since I haven't seen it since I was a kid I don't really have thoughts on it, though I'd wager I'd feel about the same as I do for most other Spielberg movies: the lighting carries me through to the end of the picture pretty enjoyably and almost everything else gets on my nerves to varying degrees. Worth a revisit though.

Like Jesse I rank Fanny and Alexander pretty high (both on the Bergman and 1982 scale), though I've only seen it once. Always have found Blade Runner somewhat off-putting, which I think is mostly pacing issues but have come to grudgingly like it a lot more over the years. Saw it at the Ziegfeld Ballroom I guess about 15 years ago which was something else. One of my favorite PKD novels. Dimensions of Dialog I thought was ok but like a lot of Svankmajer stuff just can't get into. I think Manly Games is my favorite. Fitzcarraldo is good but far from my favorite Herzog (still on my list). Unlike Pajama Guy I found the making-of documentary kind of underwhelming but should give it another watch. Don't remember Forbidden Zone well enough to say anything. 9 and 10 are great and high up on my list (though I think the collaboration with Sacha Vierny really pushed Greenaway's films up another notch). Great Soundtracks, both.

Liked Liquid Sky, The Verdict, The Atomic Cafe, read but did not see The Return of Martin Guerre (Davis), only really liked Sean Penn in Fast times. The rest I haven't seen.

1. The Thing
2. The Disco Dancer
3. The Draughtsman's Contract
4. Starstruck
5. Fanny and Alexander
6. Blade Runner
7. Boat People
8. My Favorite Year
9. The Snowman

10. Marathon Runners Run Their Final Lap
11. Fitzcarraldo
12. Tenebre
13. Dragon Lord
14. Cat People
15. Gorsch the Cellist
16. White Dog
17. The Appointment
18. Gundam 0079 Part 3
19. Tootsie
20. Deathtrap

8:07 AM, December 28, 2022  
Blogger Jesse said...

Bream has a knack for including some movies I have not only never seen but never heard of. Mostly Asian films, but in some cases I'm not sure. Googling tells me nothing about MARATHON RUNNERS RUN THEIR FINAL LAP—what is it?

3:06 PM, December 28, 2022  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is the title I recall my Serbian friend calling it when he showed me this Yugoslavian film about 20 years ago. In looking it up just now I found it listed as Marathon Family (though Wikipedia gives a literal translation closer to my friend's: Marathon Runners Run the Lap of Honor). Anyway I gather like some others that made their way onto my lists through the same source (possibly also with unofficially translated titles) it's a well liked black comedy at least in parts of the former Yugoslavia and barely known elsewhere.

3:27 PM, December 28, 2022  
Blogger Jesse said...

Thanks. I've seen several Yugoslav films from the '60s and '70s but not, as far as I can remember, anything later.

3:42 PM, December 28, 2022  
Blogger Bream Halibut said...

For me it's the inverse: I've seen several from the late 70s-80s but nothing earlier. Would like to see more from both periods, actually.

10:27 AM, January 04, 2023  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter