Friday, October 01, 2004

Personal Reaction

Unlike Pajamaguy, I believe the best way to win a debate is to win it. But who knows, maybe he's right--maybe when the dust clears the first debate will not go to Kerry. Anyway, I don't enjoy political prognostication, it's tougher than predicting the path of a hurricane.

But I just read the debate transcript and will give my personal reaction. A poor thing, perhaps, but at least my own.

Bush did not do well. To me, the central issue of this campaign is Iraq. As astute readers of this blog already know, I support the war. However, Bush still has trouble articulating why we're there and what we'll be doing. (He has trouble articulating a lot of things.) He keeps repeating catch phrases and avoids significant content. But...since I already know why I support the war, I don't care--Bush doesn't have to explain it to me.

Kerry was more interesting. He was definitely smooth, but vague, and even contradictory. There was nothing new here, but it was concentrated Kerry--he gave a dazzling display of all the things he might do without ever really saying what he will do. All along, my vote has depended on his plan for Iraq and after a whole debate on the issue, it's still impossible to figure out his stance. He has a split constituency and was trying to be all things to all people. It'll be fascinating to see how well it works.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter