Sunday, November 13, 2005

I'm Not Making Fun, Honest

I'm not morbid, but when I pass by an obit and note the person died fairly young, I often read it just to see how.

NFL great Steve Courson died a few days ago. The headline in the LA Times read STEVE COURSON, 50; PLAYED FOR STEELERS AND BUCCANEERS, SPOKE OUT AGAINST STEROIDS.

So I'm thinking "this must be steroid-related." I read on.

In the first paragraph, they note he developed heart problems while playing. This definitely must be it. I read on.

Nope, I'm wrong. He died in a way I'm sure has happened before, but this is the first actual case I'm aware of: he was cutting a tree and it fell on him.

ColumbusGuy adds: That reminds me: I met my first wife chopping down a tree.

1 Comments:

Blogger gary j. introne said...

PJ GUY -
I had much the same reaction to the Courson story, not even knowing who he was. At first it was like - good; the jerk was CUTTING DOWN a tree. Then I read that it was about to land on his dog, which had run into the area, and he lunged to save the dog and the tree landed on him. Killing him. The dog was injured. That's kind of an enitrely DIFFERENT spin on whatever else occured. At that, I realized how blemished my initial reaction had been and how sad and weird real life can be.

Thanks for letting me say that. Check out my spot :

http://garyjin.blogspot.com

Drop me a note. I like to correspond.

Thanks. Gary Introne
email njabate@aol.com

8:13 PM, November 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter