Friday, February 03, 2006

Moving

So we spent the night and day in Bloomington so ColumbusDaughter could look at the dance program. We stayed in the Indiana Memorial Union, in a suite no less, due to a fortuitous upgrade. Quite nice. I've always wanted to do that, stay in one of those campus places.

So there's not much for ColumbusGuy to do in those situations except be where he's told when, so during the down time I bought a slew of newspapers, including McPaper. Perused the review of "Three burials of Melquiades Estrada," a Tommy Lee Jones movie. The accompanying photo is two cowboys sittin' in the beautiful wilds, and, well, you know what that's gonna get ya thinkin' about.

But of course, we readers are amateurs, and the professionals wouldn't fall prey to such obvious sloppiness. And I'm reading the review, by one Claudia Puig, and, okay, it's a review like any other, in this case positive, got me thinkin' I might go see it, and then I hit the close:

"Like Brokeback Mountain, another moving Western about the bond between a pair of ranch hands, this film is emotional in a captivating but understated way. It eschews easy sentimentality and provides viewers with a bracingly honest exploration of human relationships."

Yeah, nothing gratuitous there, no sir. Just bracingly honest. C'mon, Caludia, what I really want to know is, is there a little mano a mano, you know what I mean? [Oh my God . . . I think it moved.]

LAGuy wonders: "Mano a mano"? Why would you care if there's any "hand to hand" combat?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter