Monday, March 06, 2006

Compare And Contrast

If you want to see how I would have voted for the Oscars, check out this old post. Me and the Academy don't intersect much.

Columbus Guy says: Really? You catch picture, director, documentary and song (and I suspect you tagged one or two others that I'm too lazy to look up) and you consider that not much?

The only nit I pick is PSH. Apparently you don't share the widely held view, including this house, particularly ColumbusGal, but me, too, of his stellar chops, etc. Do you think he's not good? Or just that the performance wasn't as worthy?

Anyway, my only comment is that the choices seemed awfully pedestrian. Whenever they follow my tastes, something's up. Wallace & Grommit, Reese W, Penguins and Philip Seymour would likely have been my choices, too.

(And while commenting on Clooney is almost as dumb as Clooney commenting on politics, didn't he seem defensive in his political tripe? What should he care what anyone thinks about Hollywood, so long as they pay to see his movies?)

LAGuy replies: Hey, I was picking from their candidates. I would have matched as much choosing at random. And even then I didn't agree with a single acting or writing award.

As for Best Actor, I thought it was one of the toughest categories this year. As good as I thought Hoffman (and Joaquin Phoenix) was at portraying a well-known figure, I thought Heath Ledger's performance had more depth.

George Clooney made two very political films in 2005 (neither of which were huge hits, by the way), so I guess he felt he had to say something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter