Saturday, March 04, 2006

Wild Times

As a kid I was taken to see Oliver! on my birthday. I liked it so much my parents bought me the soundtrack. The character I liked best was The Artful Dodger, played by Jack Wild. The Academy was impressed too, giving him an Oscar nomination.

Next year he played the lead in the TV series H.R. Pufnstuf. During lunch time in elementary school, we'd listen to songs from the show. A particular favorite was "Mechanical Boy."

After that, Jack Wild dropped off the map. Like so many child stars, he failed to translate that success into adulthood. But, to me and millions of others, he remained a fond memory.

So I was shocked to read his obituary. It turns out he'd had a rough time as an adult--hard living mixed with depression. Though he eventually became clean and sober, he was diagnosed with oral cancer in 2000, and it caught up with him this year, at 53.

It's a sad ending, but, perhaps, he was comforted to know, thanks to DVDs, he'll be forever young.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter