Thursday, March 30, 2006

Luke Warm, Action Hero

John Kasich has a reputation for smarts and integrity. His big deal was the budget, until he ran for president, was washed out in the first wave, and disappeared. I assume his reputation is deserved, but maintain rational doubt.

So today Mr. K has a piece in opinionjournal.com about Ohio Republicans going down the drain.

I know Ohio Republicans. I recognize almost everything -- scratch that -- I recognize every single thing in Kasich's piece. If you had collected a scattering of Ohio Newspapers over the course of aboout two years, you'd recognize all of it, too. (Nevermind that it reads like a less-than-unhinged, even reasonable Democrat press release; I've already said that you'd get the information from the papers.)

What gets me is, there's no there to it. If a sixth grade student, having read those papers, half a dozen articles would do it, wrote this, I'd tell his parents he was extraordinary. If a ninth grader did it, I'd give him an A, then I'd talk to him about stretching himself. If a 12th grader did it, I'd say, okay, you deserve your diploma, give him a B maybe, but I'd be a little abrupt: Fine, but what do you think?

So, from the great Kasich, what do we get? Nothing that I can see but intellectual mush. The sky is falling, at least that's what the papers say, but is there an insight in there anyway, a suggestion, even a criticism? He doesn't like "corruption," unlike, I don't know who, but as best as I can tell he wouldn't know corruption if it bit him in the arse. He says, literally, nothing. Should Ohioans elect Petro? Blackwell? A Democrat? Should taxes be repealed? What should anyone do or think after reading this? Damned if I know, and damned if I know why anyone should read it, except as evidence that there is a lot less to Kasich than meets the eye -- and he's been invisible for going on six years now.

The bio appendage does note one thing: Kasich has a book out. Its title? "Stand for Something".

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your asking too much of Kasich. Aside from stating the party line, I've never heard anything of interest of depth come out of his mouth in the decade or so he's been a major public figure.

4:20 PM, March 30, 2006  
Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

When you're right, you're right.

5:27 PM, March 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter