Thursday, May 25, 2006

Maybe I Shouldn't Say Anything

Baseball is full of superstitious people. If a player's on a streak, he'll keep doing the same thing every day--eat the same meal, wear the same clothes, not shower, whatever. And if a pitcher is throwing a no-hitter, no one is supposed to mention it.

So even with the season well underway, I'm still afraid of jinxing things by bringing up how well my team, the Detroit Tigers, are doing. They've been at or near first all season. This is amazing considering their competition is the Series' champions, and the Tigers haven't been over .500 since the early days of the Clinton administration.

Maybe I'm overreacting at a few swigs of water after years of drought, but they sure look like the real thing.

If I get to Detroit this summer I'll have to check out the team in person. Though I hear they're selling out these days.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim Leyland can do wonders with "untapped talent" Pittsburgh has not had a winning season since he managed them in the early 90s (After that the mgmt kept trading the talent for no value and he had to leave only to win the WS with Wayne Huizenga's mercenaries in Miami). True Detroit seems to have moved much quickly to stardom than would have been expected, and late season cool-off is very possible but I would expect under Leyland they will be in the postseason at least 3 out of the next 5 years

5:22 AM, May 25, 2006  
Blogger LAGuy said...

The Tigers are the best team in baseball right now. Will they keep up this pace? No. But the season is far enough along that I'm a believer.

11:19 AM, May 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter