Sunday, August 27, 2006

That's Rich

Rich Lowry has a piece in National Review Online where he wonders how Democrats can claim to represent average people and at the same time condemn Wal-Mart. After all, millions of regular folks shop there every day.

He concludes the Dems "populism" is pretty snooty, but that's not what caught my eye. Listen to this:
Attacking the company[...]isn’t populist, it’s perverse. A mom struggling to make ends meet might be angry at spending another $2-a-gallon to fill up at the pump. She’s not going to be so exercised by getting a great deal on diapers.
Rich, I don't know where (or when) you're living, but I'd be thrilled to get gas for only two bucks a gallon.

Columbus Guy says: I question whether you've got this one right, LAGuy. For one thing, it seems literally wrong: He says "another $2-a-gallon," not "another gallon at $2." And even if he did mean $2 gas, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Walmart sold it for that. It's dropping into the $2.40's here retail, and plenty of big boxes sell it for discounts. I think you snooty LAFolks don't see enough Walmart yourselves to appreciate its finer cultural points.

LAGuy ripostes: You may have a point about Lowry meaning two bucks extra, but all across America $2 a gallon is still a bargain.

(By the way, I'm no fan of populism, which too often amounts to playing to people's worst instincts. I always love it when a candidate is asked how much does a gallon of milk or a loaf or bread cost. The answer tells us nothing about how he'll perform as a steward of the economy, but it sure seems important to a lot of folks. I'd just say sorry, I'm lactose-intolerant and allergic to wheat.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If anyone asked me how much bread costs, I'd say "I don't know, I send out my chauffeur to buy such products."

10:15 AM, August 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only eat cake

2:17 PM, August 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter