Friday, March 09, 2007

You Can Say That Again

I was listening to an oldie today, We Five's "You Were On My Mind." I love the opening lines: "When I woke up this morning/ You were on my mind/ And you were on my mind."

You see, normally, "and" signifies something new is about to happen. But this guy (or gal--two are singing) is so obsessed with "you" that he (or she) is doing two things: Thinking about you and, uh, thinking about you.

My favorite example of redundancy in popular music is probably from the chorus of "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence": "The man who shot Liberty Valence/ He shot Liberty Valence." Now you might have already figured the man who shot Liberty Valence shot Liberty Valence, but you can't be too safe.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the first album by the B-52's:

There is a moon
It's in the sky
It's called "the moon"

11:00 PM, March 08, 2007  
Blogger LAGuy said...

That's not redundant, but actually a deep point. For some reason, every other known moon in the solar system has a name, but our moon doesn't.

I recall years ago there was a naming contest for our moon, but it didn't catch on. My favorite entry was "Alice" as in "To The Moon, Alice!"

11:22 PM, March 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter