Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I'm Outta Here

There's a new prime time show on NBC where guest star celebrities walk into new situations and have to improvise their way out. I recently caught an episode.

I've seen a lot of improv, even done a little myself, and I don't like it. Someone juggling three balls isn't that impressive, but someone doing it while walking a tightrope is. That's improv--people are so impressed it's being made up (or think it is) in front of them that they forget if it were a written sketch, they'd be yawning.

So even if the show were done well, I wouldn't watch. But from what I saw, the celebrities aren't even that good at improv. They regularly break two cardinal rules. First, don't be jokey, stick to the reality of your character. Second, don't deny the reality of your fellow improvisers.

Anyway, if you like improv done poorly, this show is for you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For my pediatric residency, I did a fake bio video piece on one of the other residents for our end of year talent show. His wife was interviewed briefly and I had to edit alot out as she (previously a funny person) did not get it. She tried to MAKE it funny. Straight man parts are hard.

Who's Line IS it? often disappointed with the problem mentioned by LAG, but there were some truly worthy moments.

2:34 PM, April 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter