Saturday, August 11, 2007

' !

There's a new show on Comedy Central, Lil' Bush. It's a satirical cartoon about our current President and his staff. I haven't seen it (though the word I've heard isn't good).

What fascinates me is the title. As I'm sure readers know, an apostrophe is used to indicate the omission of a letter or letters.

Thus, "little" is generally shortened to "li'l" as in Li'l Abner (speaking of satire).

Lately, however, I've been seeing the erroneous "l'il" quite a bit. There's no missing letter between the L and I.

But Lil' Bush? The apostrophe is completely unmoored from its purpose. Unless they want to claim his name is Lili Bush.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But there is an "e" after the "l" in "little." So, shouldn't it really be "li'l'?"

11:29 PM, August 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter