Thursday, December 20, 2007

Innovation

Years ago I heard rumors that blackjack teams trained at MIT were making a killing in Vegas. I found the story so intriguing that I pitched it as a movie. Then Bringing Down The House became a bestseller and I had to stop since producers were bidding for the real thing.

Until a friend sent me a copy, I didn't know author Ben Mezrich had written another, more recent book about MIT and blackjack, Busting Vegas. I think I found this book even more fascinating since these guys used techniques light years beyond card counting.

Counting, you see, even when done perfectly, only gives you a 1% or 2% advantage. These new techniques could give you an edge, under certain circumstances, of 40% or more. (These techniques require a lot more skill than just card counting. Of course, with the publication of this book, these new ideas were busted. I'm sure Vegas has already taken measures to deal with them.)

The book takes us on the ups and downs (some big downs) of this team. What are their new techniques? Read the book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter