Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Badvertising

I think I just found out what the guys who designed Ron Paul's NH primary ads must be doing now. Last night I heard an ad from a local, I think, mattress discounter. In true low-budget used car dealer-style, the commercial included amateurs- probably help from the store- chanting the store's name in an annoying singsongy manner. The store also contained typical mattress advertising- about being able to lie down comfortably on something hard or soft as your needs dictate.

The name of the store-"Bedderest" I know the pun they were going for was "Better Rest" but thats not quite the connection I heard. (Say the name quickly five times to yourself).

Reminds me of a story, may well be apocryphal or a joke, of a noted well-respected academic personage who died and had been rumoured to have strange predilections and had apparently been denied some governmental appointment because of it. Supposedly at the memorial service or other remembrance, someone had to correct themself, "...I mean, a leading pedagogue..."

5 Comments:

Blogger LAGuy said...

Are you referring obliquely to the third-year show?

6:47 AM, April 16, 2008  
Blogger New England Guy said...

Is that where its from? While it was fairly ruthless but I don't recall attacking any recently dead guys in that show

9:08 AM, April 16, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Third-year show? What's all this about. Who are you guys?

2:04 PM, April 16, 2008  
Blogger New England Guy said...

Sorry- Its a Guy thing.

(And thank you Anonymous for the set-up)

2:11 PM, April 16, 2008  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I think our readers deserve a vague explanation. At some law schools every year the class about to graduate puts on a show mocking the faculty, and at such a show some years ago a story along the lines that NE Guy relates sort of happened.

3:52 PM, April 16, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter