Monday, July 14, 2008

Oh no....there goes Tokyo...

Saw the movie Konga on DVD with my son this weekend. A 1961 cheap English take on King Kong- Mad English scientist comes back after a year in the jungle with meat-eating plants and some witch doctor juice which can cause a photosynthesis-type explosive growth rate in mammals (and evidently can turn a chimpanzee into a gorilla but that was just a prop problem). Predictably cheesy and a fun way to waste 90 minutes.

The one thing I have noticed about low-budget English productions (well, here and in the handful of Dr. Who episodes (Jon Pertwee was the Doctor) I watched a few years ago) is that they are awfully chatty- it seems like there are these repetitive arguments between the characters where I might expect a fight scene. In Konga, we have the declaiming scientist in full flower going on about "Science" and "The Future of Mankind" (James T. Kirk is a subtle character by comparison) over and over again. I was trying to explain to my son that these sorts of pronouncements were somewhat common in films of this type and era and I was trying to come up with examples.

One example was "History shows again and again how Nature points up the folly of Man" which of course is from Blue Oyster Cult's "Godzilla" not a movie as far as I remember. My question, Pajama Guy readers is, does this come actually from one of the Godzilla movies - It kind of sounds like something that would be sonorously dubbed in for one of the Japanese scientists to say- or are they just lyrics from a Long Island stoner?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No. The BOC lyric doesn't come from a Godzilla movie. The sentiment is often there though.

8:40 AM, July 16, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter