Saturday, September 20, 2008

Tangled Up and Going Deaf

I am thankful to LA Guy for pointng out lyricsdepot.com a few years back as I now have somewhere to go to check on those nagging missed or seemingly incomprehensible rock lyrics. LAst night on my ride down I-95, I heard Dylan's "Tangled Up and Blue" several times and I went to check it out today. This song is I thought fairly easy to understand to words to so I had never looked before.

OK am I going nuts or

  • Her parents are concerned that the singer's father's "banquet isn't big enough" or is it the more pedestrian "bank book" according to the website. (I don't care. I like what I've been hearing for 30+ years. I'm keeping this one)
  • Doesn't the stripper call him "Jimmy, don't I know your name?" (Odd, but I thought she meant it like "Buster" or "Pal")
  • Aren't they affected by 15th century Italian poets, not the 13th? (Were there any good ones in the 1200s? I think Dante did his best stuff in the early 14th C.)
What does anyone else hear?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I always heard, "Tangled up IN blue"

AAGuy

1:57 PM, September 20, 2008  
Blogger New England Guy said...

In truth I heard, "Tangle Nothing Blue" as a teen. Had no idea what it meant, thought it might have something to with drugs (a fair guess back then).

5:49 PM, September 20, 2008  
Blogger Gio Coliere said...

You got me curious, so I checked if there was a more reliable source available. Over at www.bobdylan.com the lyrics are posted. I'm going on the assumption that he would know. But I think NEGuy should get to keep "banquets". If Bob wanted us to hear only what he originally intended, I don't think he would have mumbled quite so much.

9:29 PM, September 20, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter