Wednesday, January 28, 2009

John Updike

A new novel from John Updike was practically an annual tradition. Not that I read them all, but it was always a good to know he'd be returning to the bookstore soon. Updike has just died. I wasn't aware he was ailing.

He was a mster of the novel (above all), the short story and the essay. (Don't really know his poetry.) Considering his massive output, it's amazing how consistently high the quality. I've read about ten of his books and I'd recommend them all. I guess if you're new to his work, you should start with the Rabbit books, though I also like Bech (his Jewish alter-ego).

He mixed penetrating insight--particularly into the American soul--and a rare facility with language. I don't know if there was a better living novelist. Add him to the list of worthies who will never win the Nobel Prize.

1 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

I really liked Updike's short stories I'm thinking of "Trust Me" and "Couples" collections which though they dealt largely with obnoxious upper income New Englanders bored and boffing each other, seemed to do so in a compelling manner.

7:49 AM, January 28, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter