Monday, April 20, 2009

Pageant Panic

As much as I enjoy watching a parade of lovely women, the best part of beauty pageants is the final round of questions. And they don't mess around these days.

For instance, on Sunday's Miss USA pageant, runner-up Miss California, Carrie Prejean, was asked about legalizing same-sex marriage. Here's her answer:

We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage. And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised.

There was cheering, booing, and a shouting match in the lobby.

"It's ugly," said Scott Ihrig, a gay man, who attended the pageant with his partner. "I think it's ridiculous that she got first runner-up. That is not the value of 95 percent of the people in this audience. Look around this audience and tell me how many gay men there are."

Charmaine Koonce, the mother of Miss New Mexico USA Bianca Carla, argued back.

"In the Bible it says marriage is between Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve!"

Too bad that wasn't on the broadcast.

At least the question wasn't about teabagging.

4 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

"Opposite marriage"?

Now there's a debate I'd like to see.

5:10 AM, April 20, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Considering she is a pageant contestant and therefore not that bright by definition, I thought she did okay. At least I think she was trying to say that it is good that different states can decide on this sort of thing. She then gave her own opinion, which she would have been wise to withhold whether you agree with her or not.
AAGuy
P.S. I think it was a purposely generated controversy. Obviously Hilton as a judge had inside info on these chicks and chose to ask this question knowing the dustup that would ensue.

4:43 PM, April 20, 2009  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I have known beauty pageant contestants and they seemed perfectly intelligent to me.

I don't think you need inside info to ensure this question generates controversy. I don't see how you answer without taking a side, and no matter which side, it'll be controversial.

5:34 PM, April 20, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay maybe unfair to say beauty contestant = dumb. But there is only one (opinion containing)answer that would have been considered 'controversial,' the one she gave.
AAGuy

3:09 PM, April 21, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter