Thursday, September 24, 2009

Sing Out

I recently watched I Never Sang For My Father, a film from 1970 starring Gene Hackman. It was reasonably well-respected in its time, nominated for a few Oscars, but it's not well-remembered today. Except by sitcom writers.

What do I mean? Actually I'm referring to the early 90s, when I read an awful lot of sitcom spec scripts. There was just something so evocative about that title, it proved irresistible. I swear I saw at least five scripts that parodied it--"I Never Ate With My Father," "I Never Sang For My Brother," that sort of thing.

I suppose it's been long enough that they've stopped doing that. Have no idea what the new/old title everyone wants to use is these days.

1 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

Sort of like all of the "________ doesn't live here any more" tropes

12:55 PM, September 24, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter