Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Balls

I haven't tried Brach's Malt Balls in years. I'm not even sure if they sell them in Los Angeles. But I recall they were the best malt balls around.

So I'm distressed to read Brach's has been bought out and the malt ball formula has been changed. And it's obvious. Word is getting out they suck. Worse than Whoppers.

I don't know why the change. Cheaper ingredients to save money? Penny candy wise, poundcake foolish.

PS Now I read "Brach's has changed the formula tocloser [sic] to the original taste!" There's hope yet.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Bill/w said...

I think most candy, soda and sweets today do not taste as good as they did when I was a child and I'm pretty sure it's because of the switch from sugar to high-fructose corn syrup. Occasionally, I find soda (Faygo, for example, or Mexican Vernors) that use Cane Sugar instead of new sweeteners and they taste right and good and like they should.

6:19 AM, November 25, 2009  
Blogger LAGuy said...

You may be right, or it may be nostalgia. Someone should sponsor a trial of blind taste tests. I'd be glad to participate.

9:33 AM, November 25, 2009  
Blogger Steve said...

I've been talking to my candy vendor and the Brach's malt balls have been changed by Farley's. They have supposedly changed them again. My candy vendor gave me a couple samples of version 2. Sorry, but they still suck. Slightly better than the version 1 change, but nothing like the original. They can consider me a former customer.

7:44 PM, November 26, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter