Friday, November 20, 2009

Lost Expectations

Here's something I used to see a lot, but I figured I wouldn't hear again. From a comments section on a post about Lost:

... I came to Lost in a concentrated fashion- I watched the first four seasons in June and July 2008, and while I really like the series, after the fifth season, I started to get the queasy feeling that the writers have never really had a plan for how to end it, and I suspect that they will end up throwing up some half-assed story that doesn't really tie up the loose ends in a satisfying way. I am preparing to be disappointed.

How odd. During the first season, and especially in the second, a lot of fans thought they were being taken for a ride. But as the answers started coming, and the action became clearer, the pieces started clicking into place. By the fifth season, I don't know how anyone could doubt they knew where they were going. For that matter, looking back at the first season, even the pilot, it becomes obvious they were setting things up for the finale.

Was there patchwork? Did the seams occasionally show? Certainly. There's no way to avoid that with a story and cast so large. Not everything fits together perfectly. Furthemore, it's possible the ending will be very disappointing. But they know their destination. Fans can only hope it was worth getting there.

PS For a long time I considered Lost to be my Wednesday reward for making it halfway through the week. I remember thinking if only we could go straight from Monday to Wednesday, things would be so much easier.

Well, the next best thing has happened. The final season of Lost has been moved to Tuesday. Fans had been speculating where it would end up on the ABC schedule, especially now that the net is building a Wednesday comedy block. It'll be weird not getting Lost in the middle of the week, but now it'll be the bridge that gets me to Humpday.

Will it be beaten by American Idol? Yes, badly. But there are enough hardcore fans to keep it afloat. Anyway, who cares, it's not like they're gonna cancel it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter