Thursday, January 21, 2010

That's What's Up

I was in Michigan a while ago, watching SNL with a friend, when we saw the first "What Up With That?" sketch. It's since gone on to be a recurring bit.

Kenan Thompson plays the host of a BET talk show. My friend commented his intro song was surprisingly long. I told him this is SNL, so that's the joke. And it's the only joke. Once an SNL sketch starts and you notice something odd, they will do variations on it until the applause lights come on signifying the end.

Here's how it works: Kenan comes out, sings the lively theme song and then interrupts his show's interviews to do a reprise or two, each time with fancier production. The show is over before he can engage his guests.

This is the kind of sketch you either go with or don't. The idea is not original, and is based more on rhythm than content. This is the kind of sketch you either go with or don't. I guess I go for it, because I like the gusto, and the tunefulness.

Most comedy is based on surprise. But sketches like "What's Up With That?" are as much about familiarity.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It works because the music is good. and is flexible enough to allow small jokes that probably wouldnt work elsewhere (who though Mike Tyson could seem funny in a good way?) It would be unbearable with a cloying tune

NEG

4:23 AM, January 21, 2010  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I went with it 3 times, I skip the skit now whenever it comes up.

MacGruber Trailers, on the other hand, I watch with anticipation. It's funny how certain skits and characters rub different people different ways. I couldn't stand Stewart, for example, on Mad TV (the grown man toddler). It wasn't that the joke was the same (familiar each time), it just irritated me. Other recurring characters I like, even if they do the same joke every time (Jon Bovi on the SNL News, or NY Governor Patterson and his slams on NJ). No accountinf for taste, I guess.

7:30 AM, January 21, 2010  
Blogger New England Guy said...

Speaking of repeating characters- I was watching some "golden age" SN sketches from the early years (it wasn't SNL yet)

I couldn't stand the Belushi Samurai sketches or Gilda's Judy Miller stuff at the time but now they seem really funny. On the other hand I used to really enjoy Dan Ayckroyd's Mainway Products sketches but now I skip it- it isn't shocking or fresh any more. I guess its something to do with the shock of the new and nostalgic comfort of the familiar.


Joe Piscopo's "Are You from Jersey?" guy was never a fave and it used to really annoy me when it took up time on a show but then I still find myself repeating the the phrase 30 years later.

Never mind.

9:12 AM, January 21, 2010  
Blogger New England Guy said...

And just to follow up Denver Guy- I like the obvious dumbness of the McGruber sketches (I just noticed the signs identifying the room at the start of each episode- i.e. Terrorist Headquarters Control Room")

All that I know about MacGyver comes from these sketches and Marge's sisters' fascination on The Simpsons-god it must have sucked.

9:16 AM, January 21, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who thought Mike Tyson could seem funny in a good way? Have you not seen The Hangover?

10:48 AM, January 21, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No I'm so busy blogging my opinion about movies--I mean film- that I don't ever have time to watch them.


Actually its on my list and I hadn't run across the mike tyson reference yet.

2:09 PM, January 21, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sitcoms have continuing characters we care about. This is the sketch show equivalent. It saves a lot of time in that it doesn't require writers to come up with new jokes.

12:45 PM, January 22, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter