Monday, February 01, 2010

Heroic Farewell

I still watch Heroes. Not sure why. It's like a reflex.

I've stopped writing about it, though. This season has been the worst yet. It's dramatically inert. The whole carnival plot hasn't worked. And as usual, the characters change on a dime. In last week's episode, for instance, Sylar suddenly wanted to be good again. And Claire was against her father, then for him. We've seen these switches so many times it's hard to believe they're going to flip once more.

There's still some slight residual interest for a few of the characters, though with each week, the memory of when they were once fascinating slips further away. Even if the show isn't canceled, I don't think I'll go beyond this season.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I was starting to regain my enthusiasm for Heroes, but the last two episodes really dropped in quality. The last episode especially, with Hero I guess overcoming his brain tumor just because he suddenly really wanted to (after putting himself on trial in his mind) - bleh.

You have it just right - the problem is the characters never go anywhere - they just flip back and forth. Some day I'm going to watch Lost - tell me that the characters are interesting but develop consistently.

P.S. Wiil you watch 24 this season?

1:36 PM, February 01, 2010  
Blogger LAGuy said...

There has been nothing in this season that helped me regain my enthusiasm. There were moments in the second and third seasona that gave me hope. Maybe it's better to have no hope if they can't fulfill the promise.

If Hiro had just waited in the hospital about ten episodes ago, Peter could have come with a healer. Since Hiro's a time traveler, he doesn't need to rush to get stuff done. You know, they've had enough healers and healings on this show that Hiro should have shrugged off his brain tumor.

The characters on Lost are far more interesting and better developed. Do they change? Yes, I suppose they do, though they also maintain a certain consistency. What's more important, the show has an overall story that continually develops, rather than making it up as they go along.

I've never watched 24. It's on my list of shows I might check out someday. Something like 24 might be better on DVD. I'm not saying I'd watch a whole season straight through in 24 hours, but maybe over a long weekend.

2:05 PM, February 01, 2010  
Blogger freedomminute said...

The show has been on a proverbial hamster wheel for about two seasons now. I finally bailed out after the Christmas break. Heather made it a half episode longer than I did.

5:14 AM, February 04, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter