Friday, April 16, 2010

It's Still Nice To Hear

Dusty Springfield was born 71 years ago today. Unfortunately, she left us in 1999.

One of the best examples of British soul, she's known for a handful of hits, but the first song of hers I remember was one we sang in junior high choir:



A number of her early hits were by Burt Bacharach--"I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself," "Wishin" And Hopin'," "The Look Of Love." She also scored with "Son Of A Preacher Man" and, a comeback in the 80s with Pet Shop Boys, "What Have I Done To Deserve This?."

But I think my favorite was her first hit:



Here are some helpful comments from YouTube:

the women singers of today claim to be divas...oh please this women here is pure class no female singer today can even be in the same standing as Dusty

This really is the dictionary entry for TIMELESS. Yeah, her hair, her dress, the arrangement take you to the 60's. But the feeling and the meaning and Miss Dusty's delivery : TIMELESS. My heart hears it, Dusty...Love always

Say what you want about Dusty but to me she's a legend. I think I spell that right if not please forgive me for my lousy spelling. Do we all agree?


Yes we do.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great song, but I need just a couple more years so I can completely disassociate it as the theme song to the horrible HBO series ARLI$$.

7:52 AM, April 16, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter