Thursday, June 17, 2010

Not So Hot?

I missed the debut of the TV Land sitcom Hot In Cleveland, but I did read a review in The New York Times. It's about some "older" women who move from LA, where no one notices them, to Cleveland, where, as the title has it, they're considered hot.

While the show may think it honors flyover country, and is putting down the West Coast, isn't this a bit condescending? I suppose I should watch it first. Maybe I'll report back if I ever get around to it.

The review also inclued this:

“Modern Family” seems bold because it includes a gay couple in the family mix, but the women’s roles are as actually as traditional as on “Leave It to Beaver.” One housewife is a neurotic, blond, all-American stay-at-home mom; the other is a fiery, sexy Colombian stay-at home mom.

Really? I didn't think Modern Family was considered that bold, but if it is, it's because of the smart jokes and plots. The gay stuff is hardly bold--it's usually the most cliched stuff on the show. The young Columbian wife with the old husband seems bolder.

3 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

I watched the Betty White SNL show in bits and pieces on the internet and somehow ran across the "Hot in Cleveland" trailer and I thought it was an SNL bit (one of their better ones) mocking TV land sitcoms.

Goes to show ya

7:31 AM, June 17, 2010  
Blogger New England Guy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:31 AM, June 17, 2010  
Blogger New England Guy said...

And Hot in Cleveland is completely derivative of a 30 Rock episode (Liz in Cleveland is asked if she's a model and encouraged by passers-by to eat more because she's so skinny).

7:43 AM, June 17, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter