Monday, June 14, 2010

Waxing On

In the middle of a surprisingly weak summer box office, Hollywood is shocked to find a remake of an old 80s hit has unexpected strength, enough to create a franchise. They're further shocked that it isn't The A-Team.

Against expectations, the Jackie Chan/Jaden Smith Karate Kid has the makings of a blockbuster, grossing $56 million over the weekend, more than twice what The A-Team made. (I guess turnabout is fair play. Last summer's surprise hit, The Hangover, featuring The A-Team's Bradley Cooper, upended expectations and easily beat the bigger budget Land Of The Lost.)

I went out to the movies on Saturday evening. I wasn't planning to see Karate Kid, but even if I wanted to, it was sold out. And The A-Team wasn't. I could tell something was going on right then.

I'm a big fan of Jackie Chan, but a Mr. Miyagi-type role doesn't seem right for him. Chan is good with action, not English dialogue. But I guess the film will be playing long enough for me to find out what all the excitement is about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter