Saturday, August 21, 2010

A Meddling Bureaucracy Destroying Another One Of Life's Simple Pleasures

Here's some interesting news: Ted Nugent just pled no contest to "deer baiting" in California.  I'd heard of bear-baiting, but what's deer baiting? I apologize to hunters but I had no idea until I read the article:

Further investigation into the incident revealed that the area had been baited with "C'mere Deer." Using any sort of wildlife attractant is illegal in California.

So it's putting out a special scent to attract deer. (Ted was shooting a TV show so maybe he couldn't wait.) Why is this illegal?  I  must be missing something.  I mean I can see banning hunting, or limiting it to seasons or number killed, but who cares how you attract the wildlife?  No matter how you find them, they're gonna end up dead.  Is this law designed to give them a sporting chance?

5 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

I think its a means of managing the take. In Pennsylvania last year, a guy was arrested for bear baiting- dumping day old donuts (apparently heaps of them) in a place frequently by a black bear- for a long period of time and then he shot the now fat slob of a bear and took the record for the biggest bear bagged that season. He out raged both animal lovers and fellow hunteers who viewed him as the equivalent of a steroid-using cheater. I'll try to post a link later

8:25 AM, August 21, 2010  
Blogger New England Guy said...

Further evidence of two Americas- I googled bear baiting and donuts and got the following two links

http://daysbearbait.com/testimonials.html

and

http://www.hsus.org/wildlife_abuse/campaigns/bears/baiting/

8:29 AM, August 21, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I support the right to arm bears.

10:38 AM, August 21, 2010  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

In Georgia (where I know something of the law) the reason for the law is people with hunting estates maintain their own animal populations. The State also maintains populations on public grounds. The animals are a natural resource, like water, and land owners have certain rights. Of course, you can't keep deer, or quail or other animals from roaming as they will. But one land owner is not allowed to bait all the animals to his property, at the expense of his neighbors.

I'm more familiar withe rules on quail. You can create an attractive habitat for the quail, in hopes of getting them to nest in your field. But you can't feed them to getthem to come or stay.

9:49 AM, August 23, 2010  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Ah, all this reminds me of Property class, and Pierson v. Post.

10:58 AM, August 23, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter