Wednesday, August 25, 2010

My Brush with Greatness

On vacation this week and for a variety of reasons, we didn't go anywhere special- just sort of hung out at home and took day trips- to places in the area we'd never been to but always meant to. Today, my son and I hit the Southwick Zoo in Mendon, Massachusetts- about 90 minutes southwest of Boston. It was a cold rainy day and that kept the crowds down and the extra stuff- rides and shows- was not operational so it was just animals. It was open and easy to see the critters (including a number of large ones) - who seemed active and content.

While viewing the chimp exhibits and later wandering through the deer park, I noticed what I thought was a familiar face but I couldn't place him. A man in his 50-60s with a bunch of kids and others. I think he saw me staring at him because he later gave me a clue. The fallow deer, including some antlered bucks, were a bit aggressive around him and he had to gingerly ward them off as he was putting quarters in the machines to get corn for his young charges to feed them. I was behind him and he was laughing and looked at me and said something like "Now I know how Jack Hanna feels." It was the Late Show's own Biff Henderson .

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the funniest things ever on Letterman was when Biff had been hypnotized, and Letterman started saying "sleep, sleep" and Biff couldn't help it and fell asleep. Letterman seemed frightened, like he might have gone too far.

2:47 PM, August 25, 2010  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Believe it or not, I once attended a David Letterman show with a friend who was chosen to be on "Brush With Greatness." I wish I had a tape.

5:07 PM, August 25, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter