Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Window On The World

I saw a car with a bumper sticker on the window (already a sign of trouble) stating:

ONE PLANET

ONE PEOPLE...PLEASE

I assume this is some sort of world peace message, but it's not expressed very well. I think it's the "please" that's confusing. Without it, the message is clear. Why plead for what we've already got?

It could just as easily be some guy who's grumpy about exploring and terraforming other planets. Or perhaps someone up in arms about the threat of alien invasion.

PS  Since writing the above, I've discovered this is a popular saying for the Bahai faith.  I still think they should cut the "please."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I read the "please" sarcatically - as in "puhhh-leeeese"

12:48 PM, August 31, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I have often thought that the one thing we need if we all want to get along, is an antagonistic alien invasion. Suddenly, we would all be "Earthlings."

11:51 AM, September 01, 2010  
Blogger LAGuy said...

An sf plot from Lathe Of Heaven to Watchmen. Speaking of Lathe, see tomorrow's post.

1:08 PM, September 01, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter