Sunday, September 12, 2010

All Roads Roam To Leeds

I was intrigued to see a "Gateway To Geekery" for the Who at The A.V. Club. Here's one of the greatest rock bands ever, with a solid catalogue. Where would one start? Tommy? Quadrophenia? Meaty Beaty Big And Bouncy? Who's Next?

So I was shocked by the choice: Live At Leeds. Probably my last choice.

I'm aware of how highly regarded the album is, even if I don't think it's that great. (In general I don't like live albums.) But no matter what you think of it, this is not where to start. You're trying to introduce someone to a masterful band. Start with the studio albums. The songs are tight and, in the Who's case, iconic. Only later should you check out the band live, where they elaborate on what was already great, sometimes doing them a bit sloppily, sometimes stretching them beyond the breaking point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter