Sunday, January 02, 2011

The Go Go Years

Jesse Walker now turns to the top films of 1980.  A decent year, but some odd choices.  Here's his top ten, (which does not include one of the most annoying films of the year, Best Picture winner Ordinary People, or notorious flop Heaven's Gate, or the unseen Fassbinder TV series Berlin Alexanderplatz):

1. Mon Oncle d'Amerique
2. Melvin and Howard
3. Raging Bull
4. UFOria
5. The Stunt Man
6. Bronco Billy
7. The Long Good Friday
8. Kagemusha
9. Garlic Is As Good As Ten Mothers
10. Airplane!

Most of these I like. At least three would make my top ten--2, 5 and 10.  1 and 8 are decent films from directors who have done better work.  Haven't seen 4 or 9.  Then there's 3 and 6.

Raging Bull's reputation mystifies me.  Good performances, but to what end?  A better title would be Two Pointless Hours With A Lout.  As for Bronco Billy, even Eastwood fans don't bring this one up too much.  It's sort of Clint's idea of a screwball comedy, with all the wit we've come to expect from him.  I saw it when it first came out, and, a few years ago, I accompanied a friend to a course he was taking on Clint Eastwood (!) and had to sit through this again.  It was as bad as I'd remembered.

Here are Jesse's honorable mentions.

11. Atlantic City
12. The Last Metro
13. Breaker Morant
14. The Ninth Configuration
15. Bad Timing 
16. Carny 
17. American Gigolo 
18. The Blues Brothers
19. Coal Miner's Daughter
20. History of the World in Three Minutes Flat

Some good films here.  Certainly Atlantic City would make my top ten.  Not sure what American Gigolo is doing on the list, and Blues Brothers has some decent musical performances but doesn't hold together too well.  Haven't seen #20.

Here are some other films which Jesse doesn't mention, though I'm sure he's aware of many of them.  First, the films that would have made my top ten list.

Top Ten

The Empire Strikes Back  (Conspicuous in its absence.  At the IMDb it's the #11 film of all time, and I bet if you polled fanboys it would be #1.)
Dressed to Kill
The Elephant Man
Superman II
Return of the Secaucus 7

Here are other films from 1980 that I like:

The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle, Altered States, Where the Buffalo Roam, The Gods Must Be Crazy, The Gong Show Movie (yep), Health, Used Cars, Hero at Large, D.O.A., Private Benjamin, Flash Gordon, From Mao to Mozart: Isaac Stern in China, Stardust Memories (at the time, it seemed Woody was getting worse, but looking back, still good enough), The Life and Times of Rosie the Riveter, Seems Like Old Times, Spetters, Serial

Films of interest (a surprising number due to their notoriety), including a few shorts:

Any Which Way You Can, The Big Brawl (not great, but Jackie Chan in America!), The Apple, The Big Red One, The Blue Lagoon, Brubaker, Caddyshack (which some consider a classic), Can't Stop the Music, Cannibal Holocaust, Cheech & Chong's Next Movie, City of Women, Coast to Coast, The Competition, Cruising, Divine Madness, Don't Answer the Phone, Fame, The Fiendish Plot of Dr. Fu Manchu, The Fog, The Formula, Foxes, Friday the 13th, From the Life of the Marionettes, Galaxina, Gilda Live, Gloria, Gnomes, He Knows You're Alone, The Hollywood Knights, Honeysuckle Rose, Hopscotch, How to Beat the High Co$t of Living, The Idolmaker, In God We Tru$t, Inside Moves, It's My Turn, Just Tell Me What You Want, Karl Hess: Toward Liberty, The Last Married Couple in America, The Last Metro, Little Darlings, The Long Riders, Loose Shoes, McVicar, The Mirror Crack'd, My Bodyguard, Nijinksy, Nine to Five, The Nude Bomb, One Trick Pony, Popeye, Porklips Now, Prom Night, Roadie, Rockshow, Rough Cut, Rude Boy, Sauve qui peut (la vie), The Shining, Simon, Sitting Ducks, A Small Circle of Friends, Somewhere in Time, Stir Crazy, Terror Train, That Sinking Feeling, Times Square, Tom Horn, Tribute, Union City, Up the Academy, Urban Cowboy, Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe, Wholly Moses!, Willie & Phil, Xanadu

6 Comments:

Blogger Jesse said...

I've gotten more pushback on Raging Bull than I would expect, given its exalted reputation. I agree that it's overrated -- it isn't the best movie of the '80s, the best movie by Scorsese, or even necessarily the best boxing movie -- but De Niro's performance is something to savor. And it's not one of those great performances that's cast adrift in an otherwise lousy film; everything in the picture enhances what De Niro is up to. If you can see how Faces or Cries and Whispers can be rewarding even though they're sometimes hard to watch, I'll nominate Raging Bull for the same category.

As for Bronco Billy...well, I see your attitude toward Eastwood a lot like you see my attitude toward Chaplin. Someday I'll write a longer article extolling that film's virtues, which are many.

Moving on: My inner 10-year-old still resents The Empire Strikes Back for its cliffhanger ending, and the older me is tired of hearing people mistake its mystical talk for something profound. I'll allow that it's the only Star Wars sequel that's any good, but I still think the series would have been better if they'd stopped after the first (sorry, "fourth") one. Dressed to Kill annoyed me when I saw it in my early twenties, though it might improve on a second viewing. (I've grown more tolerant of some of De Palma's quirks.) And while I like The Elephant Man and Superman 2 (in different ways!), neither one strikes me as exceptional.

I did seriously think about including The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle, a movie I thought I was alone in liking. And I enjoyed a number of the other movies in your second list (and really want to see Health someday). But...Where the Buffalo Roam? Really? I'm as big a Bill Murray fan as you'll find, and even I find it hard to sit through that one.

6:38 AM, January 02, 2011  
Blogger Jesse said...

You've really got to see UFOria, by the way. It feels a bit like a cross between Melvin and Howard and Repo Man. It has a small cult following that in a just world would be much bigger.

Speaking of cult followings: The Blues Brothers is on the list because I can't really exclude a movie I've willingly watched more than 10 times. It must have something going for it, y'know?

6:43 AM, January 02, 2011  
Blogger LAGuy said...

We may disagree on Chaplin and Eastwood, but I'd hope we agree which one's specialty is comedy.

I'm aware of how little people thought of Where The Buffalo Roam. I thought Bill Murray really nailed the role and as far as capturing the world of Hunter S. Thompson, it's considerably better than Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas. And I like the scene with Nixon.

9:47 AM, January 02, 2011  
Blogger Jesse said...

He nailed the impression, but it was basically a one-note performance. The movie would have been better at the length of a Saturday Night Live sketch.

I do like the Nixon scene.

9:51 AM, January 02, 2011  
Blogger Brian Leonard said...

Here's my top 10 of '80, which I'd sent to Jesse. I used IMDB dates, so neither Return of the Secaucus Seven nor Tess are on here (otherwise they would be), while Atlantic City and The Last Metro are listed as 1980 films, although a friend swears that they weren't released in the US till '81.

1. Mon Oncle D'Amerique. I agree with Jesse.

2. Atlantic City. "You should have seen the Atlantic Ocean
back then."

3. Resurrection (Daniel Petrie). A vision of what life might
be like if
the best parts of religious mythology were true, with what I
believe is
the greatest performance by an actress--Ellen Burstyn--I've ever
seen in a
film.

4. Airplane! Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit
sniffing glue.

5. Kagemusha

6. The Elephant Man (David Lynch)

7. Melvin and Howard

8. Raging Bull

9. Coal Miner's Daughter

10. That Sinking Feeling (Bill Forsyth)

Honorable Mentions:

Stardust Memories
Star Wars, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
The Last Metro
Ordinary People
Breaker Morant
Carny

Half-Good Comedies:

Caddyshack
The Blues Brothers

Most Disappointing Film of 1980, and of all time:
The Shining

4:36 PM, January 02, 2011  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I'd suggest you put the list up at your own blog, but I see you're too busy.

5:02 PM, January 02, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter