Thursday, January 06, 2011

The Numbers

It never occurred to me, but it's obvious.  Thousands of people bet the lottery using Hurley's numbers from Lost:  4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42.

This is stupid.  As I understand it, the money in a lottery is pooled, and if more than one wins the big prize, the winners split it.  If thousands are betting your number, that's a lot of splitting.  Anything but those numbers.

Anyway, the latest Mega Millions jackpot numbers were 4, 8, 15, 25, 47, 42.  Wow, four out of six, including the bonus number.  This is apparently worth $150 (or is that only with a normal distribution of winners?).  Not a bad return for a one dollar ticket.  But I can just see the players as they announce the numbers.  They must have been going crazy.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I had the 4 and 8, but I didn't get anything else. I only buy tickets when the jackpot is enormous (arguably a 1:175,000,000 of winning over $175,000,000 is worth a buck, right?).

When I buy tickets, my number on one ticket is always 4,8,10,27,28 and Power # 3. So when I heard the 4 and 8, I was thrilled for a second.

8:21 AM, January 06, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter