Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Snow Queen

It's Christie Brinkley's birthday.  My favorite Billy Joel song, "Uptown Girl," is supposedly about her.  (Maybe I like it best because he's trying to sound like the Four Seasons and not like Billy Joel.)



She appears in the video.  She and Billy were dating at the time.  They got married and had a kid. Some years later, she was in a helicopter crash in the mountains of Colorado.  She and others in the copter huddled together, awaiting rescue.

She said "Maybe I'll have the patience to be a better mom.  Or maybe I'll go to medical school and become a doctor. [...] Maybe I will just simplify my life.  Because at the moment everything is so sweet to me."

Simplify her life she did.  Soon after the incident, she and Billy got divorced.  I suppose lying out there in the snow, wondering if she'd make it, she thought "gee, he's rich and famous, but is this what I really want?"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok not particularly on point but my favorite Christie-Billy story, on a news sunmary one day 20 or so years ago (a legitimate news news report not The Onion) on a story reporting a study that apparently couples who live together a long time start to look like each other, the headline read something like "Christie Brinkley's Top Reason to Worry."

3:47 AM, February 02, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Models marry rock stars, but just try to imagine them marrying the same guy if he wasn't rich and famous. Maybe all that glitter was stripped away once she faced a life and death situation.

9:46 AM, February 02, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter