Saturday, September 17, 2011

Litterati

We pay LA Councilpeople to think up ways to interfere with our lives. Their latest plan is to ban paper and plastic bags from stores.  (It's strongly supported by Councilman Paul Koretz, who once compared anti-illegal immigration laws to the Holocaust.  Where do we find such men?)

Personally, I've been using the paper and plastic over the years as garbage bags, so all this would do, aside from forcing me to carry around a reusable bag everywhere I go, would be to add an extra expense to my budget.

Thanks a lot, LA Council.  Here's an idea to save money--let's cut your pay.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paper nor plastic?

11:17 AM, September 17, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where I live, the two closest (and most convenient) grocery stores are the Giant store south-east of me, and the Giant store north-east of me. The former is in D.C. and the latter is in Maryland.

A year ago, the D.C. city council passed a five-cent-per-bag tax on plastic bags. I noticed that this has made me slightly more likely to shop in Maryland.

The silly thing is that I have no idea whether the food prices are cheaper at one store or the other. But the bag tax is very visible, since it's added at the end and the cashier has to count your bags to figure it out. (But I sometimes see them just add five cents once, as if they just gave you one bag, rather than counting them. Shhh -- don't tell the D.C. city council.)

7:09 PM, September 17, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter