Monday, November 14, 2011

See Candy

I looked up See's Candies on Wikipedia. Actually, I put the name in Google first and found the Wikipedia entry.

For a few days after that, when I've been checking out various pages on the internet, I've noticed ads for See's Candies.  Is that how it works?  Google notes what I put in and starts shoveling ads for the related product my way?

I can see how this is efficient, but it's also sort of creepy.

(Perhaps this phenomenon has been obvious for years, but I never noticed it until now.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are kidding, right? My 13 year old nephew is a truck nut, and so I thought it would be nice to find him some sort of 3 hour or 6 hour class on engine repair, thinking there would be some community school thing I could find.

But instead I got sucked into some company that sells "degrees" for 30k and 40k, and my web browsers were nothing but this company for about a month before it finally faded away.

You'd think they'd be more subtle, but they're not. Yet.

What I'm waiting for is the day when you see "Coke" on the arm sleeve of #29 Michigan on your TV, but I see "Pepsi." The technology is already here, just not the application.

And don't get me started on grocery store loyalty cards.

3:00 AM, November 14, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noticed this too....was surprised when the exact (and obscure) sale item I bookmarked at Macy's online showed up as an ad shortly thereafter. Creepy indeed.

6:49 AM, November 14, 2011  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

It has been obvious for some time. I use Bing for my searches, but same thing happens. But it does't really bother me. If I have to see ads float by, I rather have ads for things I might be interested.

Do you recall in the film "Minority Report", public cameras identified people walking by through a retinal scan, and immediately bill boards started advertising things the passerby might be interested in.

Wow! Word Verification is: forkd. As in what you are if you want more privacy.

7:46 AM, November 14, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter