Saturday, November 19, 2011

You've Got Mail

I just received a letter from my congressman Xavier Becerra. He's part of the super duper committee that's trying to reduce the deficit and he wants my advice.

To quote from him:

What drove us from record surpluses to record deficitis?  Was it overspending on our schools, roads, and water systems?  Or was it irresponsible tax breaks for the wealthy and unfunded wars.

I was surprised to read this. Who would have guessed he favors the serial comma?

He provides a multiple choice quiz that he wants me to send back.  I suppose he's going to add up the results and that will determine what stance he takes.

Here are some of the questions:

Would you support or oppose closing tax loopholes for large businesses to help reduce the deficit?

Would you support or oppose ending the 2001 and 2003 tax breaks proposed by President Bush for the wealthiest Americans to help reduce the deficit?

Would you support or oppose cutting Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid benefits for seniors, widows, disabled people, and children to help reduce the federal deficit?

I have a suggestion for another question:

"Do you support or oppose spending even one more cent on political mailers?"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you answered yes to all of the questions.

5:26 AM, November 19, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter