Saturday, June 16, 2012

Wrong Age

Rock Of Ages, the movie version of the stage musical, opened yesterday. It features Tom Cruise and includes a lot of fun actors, such as Bryan Cranston, Paul Giamatti, Alec Baldwin and Catherine Zeta-Jones.  There's just one problem.

The movie promises classic 80s rock.  Now if you pick and choose, this could be okay, but that's not how it's worked out.  They promise songs from Foreigner, Reo Speedwagon, Def Leppard, Journey, Poison, Twisted Sister, etc.

I don't deny these acts were popular, but hearing them the first time around was bad enough.  I simply have no desire to hear their hits again in a major motion picture, whether it's the original version or a Tom Cruise cover.

7 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

You know I loathed those acts when they first came out. Now that damn notalgia trigger in the brain has me enjoying the familiar sounds of youth when I hear them on the radio.

5:30 AM, June 16, 2012  
Blogger VermontGuy said...

Yeah, I hear Tom Cruise is the best thing in that movie.

Too bad it's not about the songs of the 70'S. Now that I could get into.

10:05 AM, June 16, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who will want to see this movie? 80's nostalgia might work in the theatre, but that's for old people. Even 90's nostalgia is getting a bit old.

10:39 AM, June 16, 2012  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I mostly share your sentiment, but don't you have any love for Journey? I never bought their albums, but some of their music seems to have withstood the test of time, as their music is frequently covered, sampled and used in sporting/political events today.

6:04 PM, June 16, 2012  
Blogger LAGuy said...

As a suburban boy raised in north Detroit (there is no south Detroit) I can't stop believin' the only way I want or need their music is on mute.

6:44 PM, June 16, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toledo.

4:38 PM, June 17, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Detroit will call itself North Toledo before Toledo calls itself South Detroit.

6:58 PM, June 17, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter