Tuesday, July 10, 2012

I Blame Society

I was in a movie theatre recently and saw this PSA about girls dropping out of sports:



They make it pretty clear who's to blame. "Society bombards them" with messages about their looks, which makes them drop out.  So there you have it.

Maybe it's true.  But wasn't it common for a long time (i.e., forever) in many places (i.e., everywhere) for girls to be tomboys until they matured and started changing their interests? Perhaps it was always society forcing them into their gender roles, but this is not a new phenomenon.  In fact, I'd guess today's girls stay in sports in larger numbers than ever.

It would be cool if we could do some experiments to tease out the nature versus nurture aspect.  In one state we won't let anyone see any ads or movies or TV shows and see what happens.  In another, we'll have ads that say girls should be sports heroes and boys should worry about their looks.  In another maybe we'll have commercials telling boys to try out for ballet while girls should try out for football.  In another only girls can buy Sports Illustrated while only boys can buy Vogue.  In another only girls get sports funding while boys can only be cheerleaders.  I'd be interested to see the results.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what do you think of Mr. Epstein?

http://www.hoover.org/publications/defining-ideas/article/122061

While I always think highly of him, I think he misses the point. Truth or falsity is less important than having the government being in the position of determining truth or falsity.

And exactly who is being harmed here? Are there so many liars that they're diluting the value of the honor to the legitimate holders of the honor?

I wonder what his position is on burning the flag.

4:12 PM, July 10, 2012  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I was surprised when I read the piece and didn't agree with his analysis. I don't think there's any serious dilution of honor so much as offense taken at liars, but offense isn't a good enough reason to allow the government to wade in.

I know he believes flag-burning is protected behavior. He doesn't see any conflict, but I bet both laws were passed for pretty much the same reason.

5:09 PM, July 10, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, there is no doubt the motivation for passing the laws is nearly identical (notwithstanding how hard and useless it is to argue motivation), and I'm not surprised that he gets the flag argument. Like you, I'm surprised by his position here.

6:01 PM, July 10, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter