Tuesday, October 30, 2012

10-50-90.

Over at the AV club they've made a bit of a stir with their top 50 films of the 90s. I'm not going to go over them all, but let's look at the list in general.  Overall a lot of worthy contenders, even if they, inevitably, miss many of my favorites (like, say, There's Something About Mary),  A decent mix of commercial and art films.  I think they should have stuck with English-language films since foreign films opens up too many choices yet they only make token appearances.

Some choices seem more based on name--like Eyes Wide Shut--than actual quality.  And Carlito's Way, where did that come from?  There's also way too much Coen Brothers--one film (The Big Lebowski) would have been enough.

Let's look at the top ten:

10.  Being John Malkovich.
9.  Rushmore
8.  Unforgiven
7.  Reservoir Dogs
6.  Out Of Sight
5.  Chungking Express
4.  Dazed And Confused
3.  Toy Story 2
2.  Pulp Fiction
1.  Goodfellas

Being John Malkovich deserves a spot, even if they sort of wimped out on the ending.

Rushmore I like but have always found overrated.  Probably wouldn't make my top fifty.

Unforgiven I don't like at all.  I would have hoped its reputation would have dropped by now.

The 90s was the decade of Tarantino, so Reservoir Dogs fits fine here.  I'm only surprised there was no room in the top fifty for Jackie Brown, which has only grown in stature since its release.

Out of Sight was sort of a comeback film for Steven Soderbergh, and it may be his best.  (The Limey also makes the list, deservedly.)

Chungking Express  is a lot of fun, though it's odd it's the lone foreign film in the top ten.

Dazed And Confused does a great job capturing an era, but I don't think it's top ten material.

I'm tired of people placing Toy Story 2 above the original.  Sure, it was very sentimental, but the first invented that world and is still the best film Pixar has ever presented.

The only trouble with Pulp Fiction at #2 is it deserves a higher ranking.

Hard to complain about Goodfellas on the list.  It's been over two decades and Scorsese's hasn't come close to it since.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the Limey. I love that little song at the end. Wonder if it's on Youtube . . .

3:03 AM, October 30, 2012  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I'm disappointed I've missed 4 of the top ten from the 90s - I guess I was busy.

I've meant to see Rushmore and Out of Sight. I've never heard of Chungking Express or Dazed and Confused.

Of their top 50 list, my best from the 90s would be The Matrix, disregarding what a mess the sequels became. But I don't see how Saving Private Ryan doesn't even make the list!

9:29 AM, October 30, 2012  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I'm a bit surprised you haven't even heard of Dazed And Confused. It wasn't a big hit originally, but it's since become a cult classic and seems to be on TV all the time. Just today I noticed it was on a channel

I suppose what American Graffiti was to George Lucas's generation, Dazed And Confused is to the 70s generation. It's got a huge cast of unknowns (at the time), such as Ben Affleck and Parker Posey, but a lot of people think Matthew McConaughey steals the show.

7:34 PM, October 30, 2012  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

I totally agree w/ LAGuy on Dazed and Confused. The folks in it were just a few years older than me, and I remember the era well. A good film, but not great. (By contrast, Freaks and Geeks was another great period piece, but unlike DaC it had excellent characters and plots as well.)

And I'm glad to see that American Beauty is not on the list; it was much beloved by the older baby boomers at the time.

The biggest omission? Fight Club. Easily better than half the movies on their list.

2:22 PM, October 31, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The 90s? Why bother- a lost decade

5:48 PM, October 31, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there! I'm at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone 3gs!

Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your
posts! Keep up the great work!

Also visit my web page :: Diabetes guidelines 2014

12:05 PM, October 17, 2014  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This paragraph is truly a fastidious one it assists new the web users,
who are wishing in favor of blogging.

Visit my web blog :: somatodrol ()

11:27 AM, October 20, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter