Saturday, October 06, 2012

Chicken Dinner

I was driving through the Valley when I noticed a sign outside a party store: "A Millionaire Was Made Here." Underneath was the logo for the California Lottery.

I suppose they put that sign up to convince more people to come in and buy lottery tickets.  The next millionaire could be you, and so on.  That's the appeal of the lottery in general, but they're making it specific here.  It got me thinking, however, that this may be the wrong appeal.  I bet more lottery fans will say to themselves "There's already been one Millionaire winner here.  There's no way there'll be another."*

So I'm guessing that sign actually discourages business.  Maybe a better sign would be "no millionaires here yet, so we must be due."

*The reasoning is flawed, but the conclusion is correct.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those millionaires selflessly exhibited the American values of self reliance and hard work. Nobody bought their ticket- they built their own success

3:24 AM, October 06, 2012  
Anonymous BorrisM said...

I think its more encouraging than not. The trick is often practiced in Australia. Naturally enough Australian lotto results are really impressive.

12:53 AM, July 16, 2015  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter