Thursday, June 27, 2013

Cool

Tomorrow will be a great day, because tomorrow The Heat officially opens. Starring Sandra Bullock, who's been a star for a while, and Melissa McCarthy, who's the hot new star of the year, it's the eagerly-awaited follow-up film from director Paul Feig, who made the surprise hit Bridesmaids.

But that's not why this day is great. Haven't seen the film, have no idea if it's any good.  What I have seen is the trailer--about 157,000 times, to quote Melissa McCarthy.  You've probably seen it too if you've been to any movie in the past six months.  Bullock is an uptight FBI agent whom no one likes.  Melissa McCarthy is a crazy cop who plays things her way.  They're an "odd couple" forced to team up to catch the bad guys.  Enough already.

Just never having to watch that trailer again makes tomorrow a great day.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it does well, will that lead to copycat marketing schemes to show trailers for other formula flicks with similar pieces 157,000 times too.

I've seen several movies in the past few months and only seen it once- admittedly these have been movies chosen by my teenage son- so while I haven't seen Melissa and Sandra ad nauseum, I have seen-just in the trailers- the CGI destruction of NYC (or stand ins for it) enough for one lifetime.

NEG (cookies or something won't let me sign in)

6:36 AM, June 27, 2013  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I thought we suffered through a deluge of trailers for Oblivion and After Earth, and it didn't help those films. I suppose trailers at movie theaters is a relatively cheap way to advertise films, but I don't think they are particularly effective.

7:32 AM, June 27, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forget about this stupid mopvie -- I have something important to post. I am unable to locate any Johnny Brown (Bookman from good times) impersonator clips. If you can, then will you please post some? Thank you, Mikey in Michigan

8:01 AM, June 27, 2013  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Trailers not particularly effective? I'd describe them as the single most effective form of advertising that has ever existed. You have the full attention of a captive audience that you knows goes to movies. What could possibly get you more bang for the buck? If you fail, it's probably because there's something wrong with your product.

As far as Johnny Brown (whom I think of as a Laugh-In cast member), I don't quite understand why anyone would care that much to see him, but I understand even less the urgency to see someone impersonate him.

10:13 AM, June 27, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no no,

wasn't he an impressionist? If so, then I would like to see some of his work as an impressionist. I have a memory of him doing voices, like maybe he was on Copycats -- the Rich Little show?? IDK.

2:48 PM, June 27, 2013  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I think you're confusing him with George Kirby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj7bO5844Cs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJmBrefkI3Q

3:26 PM, June 27, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes you are correct thanks, duh me.

11:38 AM, June 28, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter