Thursday, August 22, 2013

It Doesn't Ad Up

I cringe every time I drive by a billboard that has the "Nobody's Gonna Lay A Finger On My Butterfinger" ad.  It's a horrible line for a lot of reasons, but worst of all is the non-rhyme which they seem to believe is one.

I'm not expecting Cole Porter, but certainly they can do better.  I mean a near-rhyme I can handle (okay, I cringe a little, but you can't expect much more these days), but rhyming "finger" with "finger"?  And the second one isn't even stressed the same!

I guess this campaign will have to join the other identity problems, "you've got a right to chicken done right" and the all-time winner...


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And the negativity "Nobody" and the incoherence of the message - doesn't the company wants lots of folks to lay their fingers on butterfingers? It creates also an image of dirty fingers staining your shirt or anything you touch. Was this campaign developed after all the Mad Men found cocaine?

I guess Bart Simpson can outweigh a lot of sins though.

6:00 AM, August 22, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter