Thursday, October 31, 2013

Red Sox (Yawn) Win Again

This recent series largely happened after I was asleep (usually on the couch in front of the game on the tube).  I usually wake up during the post-game or the late news so I can figure out what happened except when I go too long and I wake up to an infomercial about amazing new exercise regimes.   Then its really annoying to try and find out at 3AM.   Cable is a vast wasteland then despite all the options -even ESPN puts on their lesser crap then-so I usually have to go for my phone or laptop to see what's what and by then I'm awake, so I have to do work because I can't sleep.   A vicious circle for which I blame Bud Selig and FOX Sports. 

I don't mind late games when there is a reason for it- like its happening in a different time zone but I object when it happens locally.  Have many extra brie-eating left coasters are they getting to watch while the hometown fans battle sleep? I'm sure its the thrill of a lifetime to attend a world series game (Disclosure- I attended afternoon WS games  in 1971 and 1979 and it was great fun and we got to go out to dinner afterwards) but it doesn't look so fun to be out at midnight in late-October New England the night before a work day.   Its like they are trying to kill the game (and having McCarver announce seems like a deliberate effort to chase away fans and humans of all variety)- of course attendance, revenue and viewership are up, I'm told so what do I know. 

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a sloppy series, not very exciting. If it had gone to seven games it might have been worth watching.

Anyway, Boston or St. Louis winning is no big deal these days. Time for the Cubs.

8:23 AM, October 31, 2013  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

If St. Louis had hit that grand slam in the 7th, it would have been an exciting game. But I tuned out after the weak dribbler to 2nd, and it wasn't even that late for me. Still, more exciting than Boston taking out my Rockies in 4 straight. Matt Holiday must be getting really tired of losing to those guys!

9:03 AM, October 31, 2013  
Blogger New England Guy said...

I'm glad my (AL) team won but a game 7 going into extra innings on Halloween night would have been cool. 2004 was fun but I'll I've been less of a transplanted Sox fan since then


I'm sure Stephen King would have been in the crowd- there was an iconic shot of him in 2004 (probably from the white knuckle games during the Yankee series)- Very menacing in a black poncho

10:16 AM, October 31, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter