Tuesday, December 24, 2013

What You Wish For

I'm sure many of you have seen how the latest poll shows New Yorkers are excited about Bill de Blasio taking office.  They've just been through 20 years of Democrats who called themselves Republicans, so they're excited about getting a guy who, whatever he is, actually calls himself a Democrat.

Of course, what they've seen in the past 20 years or so is a massive drop in crime and violence, so you'd think that might be a big issue, but apparently what counts most, according to the pollster, is "whether or not [de Blasio will be] able to close the income gap."

Because that is such an important thing. Whenever I go to Wall Street and see a multimillionaire walk by, my first thought is If only this guy had less money, my life would be so much better. Heck, I even think that when I walk down a dark alley in the Bronx.

And I'm sure de Blasio will do something about that. I'm not saying he can help the poor, but certainly it won't be tricky to make life harder on the well-off.  Ultimately, if he works hard at it, he can even force them out of town, and the income gap will go way down.

4 Comments:

Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

I think my favorite part is that, for all these people that do think it's a good idea, step one is to take 20 percent of their income from them . . .

Excluding the cronies, of course. For them it's quite a deal. But there are always cronies.

How's it go? "If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it." I always figured that was a corporate thing, but I guess it's universal.

5:54 AM, December 24, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Silly New Yorkers- don't they realize plutocracy works? Without Wall Street, where would we dump all the Ivy grads?

9:49 AM, December 24, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, if you're not happy with Wall Street, watch it move to Connecticut and see how New York takes it. But it's actually not the poor who will suffer, it's the middle class. The poor are completely subsidized in NYC, and the rich can take any onslaught. It's just the 80% in the middle who can't afford the life.

1:05 PM, December 24, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wall Street might leave but it will never go to Connecticut

4:54 PM, December 24, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter