Tuesday, September 02, 2014

From Hunger

From Zagat:  "20 Regional Chains We Wish Would Go National."

The choices are from all over.  By my count, there's Philadelphia, San Francisco, New York City, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Diego, Dallas, Austin, Miami, Atlanta, DC, Seattle and Houston. The food choices include Chinese, Mexican, Greek, burgers, pizza, ice cream, pastries and others.

I've been to most of these cities, but I only recognized one place--Lemonade, which is all over Los Angeles, including one within walking distance.  It's sort of a relaxed, somewhat upscale lunch place which offers exotic salads and, if preferred, heartier fare.  I'd give it a thumbs up and expect it could spread far and wide.

But I've been to Chicago many times and never noticed Tortas Frontera, even though it's at O'Hare.  For that matter, I don't recall seeing M Burger, even though it's in the Loop.

Has anyone tried, or even heard of, any of these places?  Gotten fried chicken and donuts in Philadelphia?  Artisanal ice cream in Seattle?  Kebab in San Diego?  Grilled cheese in New York?  Rustic pizza in Miami?  Asian fusion in Austin?  Let us know.

Or do you know of any other places that should have made the list? I might have picked Zingerman's Delicatessen from Ann Arbor, except I'm not sure it's a chain.  In fact, it's turned down the chance to franchise.  But it's got a roadhouse, a creamery, a training seminar, a mail order business, a brand name and other offshoots, so maybe it makes the cut.

3 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

I've been to the Clover Food Truck but not the permanent locations- The truffle fries were very tasty & I didn't need to eat again for 12 hours. They have fancy grilled cheeses (something other than the typical cheeses) if that's your thin. I liked the food but I am not crazy about eating on the sidewalk.

3:52 AM, September 02, 2014  
Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

Not sure I'd want it to be a chain, but if you're ever in Cincinnati you should wait in line at Terry's Turf Club. That's the place to get a hamburger.

1:30 PM, September 02, 2014  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Los Angeles is full of places that people claim makes the best burger. Some are chains, like Burger Lounge, which just opened up in a new spot up my block.

And just across the street from this Burger Lounge will soon be Salt And Straw, an artisanal ice cream parlor from Portland. I thought we already had artisanal ice cream places here, like Mashti Malone's, but apparently there's always room for more.

3:53 PM, September 02, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter