Friday, September 05, 2014

Sorry But This Is Really Dumb

As someone who can't blink without seeing a Dunkin Donuts in the distance*, I don't understand this (Santa Monicons camping out waiting for a new franchise to open).   Its a bright garishly-colored fast food feeling usually messy fast food joint.    The donuts are OK (duh, they're donuts) and while some folks love the coffee, others claim its swill.  I'm a tea drinker only so I can't comment but I will note the DD Ice Tea often has the sulphur-y** aftertaste of something that has sat around for a while.


Maybe I shouldn't be hard on the Left Coasters, maybe we all prefer things from the other side of the country.  I like to hang out in the muted-colors & (usually) cool music of Starbucks (well I did until the f*cking business school grads took over and made it more of a factory and took away the comfy chairs in the downtown locations).   The Iced Tea is freshly made  and is only as overpriced as the DD version.   However, I am not willing to camp out for it, even in nice weather. 


* Many suburban towns have Dunkin Donuts stores right across the street from each other so they can catch both the inbound and outbound traffic during the commute.    Since they keep doing it, I assume this actually makes business sense.  

** The devil is in the details.  

7 Comments:

Blogger LAGuy said...

I don't get it. We've got tons of doughnut places out here, so Dunkin shouldn't stand out so much. (What I don't get is why no one opens a White Castle around here--it'd make millions.)

2:11 PM, September 05, 2014  
Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

So what's stopping you?

2:38 PM, September 05, 2014  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

I'm surprised to hear L.A. didn't have Dunkin Donuts until now. I haven't lived there since 1994, and I guess I just thought that DD was a relatively new franchise rather than being a non-L.A. franchise.

Tim Hortons, the Canadian equivalent of Dunkin Donuts, is the largest food chain in all of Canada. Or it was until last week, when Burger King bought it out.

3:27 PM, September 05, 2014  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forget Starbucks, our neighborhood DD in Maine peddles humongous Whoopie Pie donuts (official State snack treat). Wonder if that would go over with the Santa Monica fans at all? Drink DD Hazelnut coffee black, faithfully, every morning which is truly weird because I don't even like coffee. Need to have tea with NEG instead!

3:56 PM, September 05, 2014  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

White Castle is a privately held company.

The big donut chain in Los Angeles is Winchell's.

4:47 PM, September 05, 2014  
Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

A privately held company . . . based in Columbus

6:11 PM, September 05, 2014  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

DD has been expanding a lot in Colorado the last year. A new store on the new hip strip (South Broadway) in Denver went around giving free donuts to all the Churches on Sunday, and lots of passerbys.

The big news for me was they offer lunch foods now (sandwiches and such). However I tried one, and they should stick to donuts.

Meanwhile, even as Krispy Kream's fortunes decline, boutique donut shops seem all the rage in Denver. Our newest (Voodoo Donsts) has a line outthe door every momentthe place is open. Therefore, I haven't tried one yet.

8:39 AM, September 08, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter