Sunday, August 02, 2015

Trailer Park

I don't watch Gotham.  Maybe it's a good show, but from what I heard, it sounds like Batman without Batman.  So when I read Supergirl is scheduled against Gotham, it wasn't like I had to decide which to watch.  I may not watch either, but if I'm picking one, it's the superhero story that's about a superhero.

It is odd that CBS is showing Supergirl.  I thought they made police procedurals for the older crowd.  Anyway, I checked out a "First Look" at the show and have a complaint.  A peek I get, but I swear I just watched the entire pilot, maybe even the first season.



PS  The show might work, but one thing that bothers me is a whole bunch of people know who Supergirl is. A lot of the fun of Superman is the secret identity stuff--the air goes out of the balloon if too many people know.

PPS  Maybe superheroes shouldn't be on TV at all.  A big portion of their appeal is spectacle, which is better served by the money and size of movies.  But story still counts most.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do Gotham City and Metropolis have major sports franchises that play each other?

7:39 AM, August 02, 2015  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

The original trailer for The Flash was similar -- it appeared to summarize the entire first episode and give significant hints of what lay ahead for the whole season.

Given how much comic fans hate spoilers, this is quite odd. I guess they figure the comic fans will watch it anyway, and they want to draw in other viewers?

9:35 AM, August 02, 2015  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

Indeed, Gotham City and Metropolis do have all the major sports teams. However, the comic editors clearly don't care about this, as they haven't enforced any consistency on their names.

In the DC Universe, GC and Metropolis are certainly within the top ten American cities, although their exact ranking is unstated.

11:20 AM, August 02, 2015  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Trailers and the like have been overdoing it for a while. I guess it's been determined the average fan wants to see as much as possible. But I do miss the great Mad Men previews. Matt Weiner liked absolute secrecy so he'd only give quick glances of people opening doors or sitting down or saying things like "excuse me?" and "goodbye."

In a world of superheroes, I bet pro sports would be a lot less popular. Knowing the Flash could turn a bunt into a home run would make the game you get to see unimpressive. And knowing a girl could single-handedly defeat the toughest football team could make the whole enterprise seem pointless.

11:40 AM, August 02, 2015  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The idea of fantasy fantasy baseball and football seemed intriguing when I read this today

4:50 PM, August 02, 2015  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter