Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Encore

Last week I put up a post about Mark Eden Horowitz's book Sondheim On Music.  Horowitz was kind enough to leave a comment:

Your article was forwarded to me and I thought it might be useful to comment. I'm the author of "Sondheim on Music," and wanted to make sure you were aware that there was a second edition of the book in 2010. It adds two new chapters, one just on "Bounce," but the other is a fairly lengthy interview that tries to cover all the earlier shows -- albeit much less fully. When I did the original interviews, there was no notion that it would become a book and I worked backward chronologically just because I thought it would be easier for Sondheim to recall his process and decisions on his more recent shows. (The reason for the song listing and discography was merely because I'd been maintaining it for my own purposes and when the interview was going to become a book, it seemed like it might be a nice added bonus that might prove of some use.) Everbest, Mark

Good to know there's an updated edition that deals with the shows mostly left out of the first (that was the main complaint in my post).  If you're interested in Sondheim's music, and want to get into the mind of the composer, it's hard to imagine a better book.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sondheim is still the master, and the book is a master class.

6:13 PM, March 16, 2016  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter