Thursday, April 14, 2016

Oh Bo

I heard a lot of good things about the Netflix animated comedy BoJack Horseman so I finally checked it out.  So far I've seen the first six episodes of 24 available, and I think that's enough to form an opinion.

The concept is somewhat odd, but once you get past the animal angle, not that much.  It's set in the Los Angeles of today, and everything is the same except animals live amongst humans, and have the same intelligence and attitudes and size of humans (though there are occasional outbreaks of their animal side)--and no one thinks this remarkable.

BoJack Horseman is a horse who starred in a cheesy sitcom in the 90s, but is now a has-been.  He must have saved his money since he lives in a great house in Los Angeles.  But instead of moving on, he mostly watches his old show and thinks of those days. In general, he's obnoxious and self-centered.

The other leads are Princess Carolyn, a cat, who's BoJack's agent and on-again, off-again girlfriend; Todd Chavez, a twenty-something layabout who sleeps on BoJack's couch; Diane Nguyen, a ghost writer hired to help BoJack finish (actually start) his autobiography; and Mr. Peanutbutter, a cheerful, empty-headed dog who starred in a show similar to BoJack's--BoJack sees him as a rival but Mr. Peanutbutter thinks everyone is his friend (including Diane, who is his actual girlfriend).

So we see the sad life of BoJack, days filled with alcohol and regret.  Though this is a comedy, there's a lot of sadness, mostly over unfulfilled potential.

The voice cast features some of my favorites, including Alison Brie (as Diane) and Aaron Paul (as Todd).  Unfortunately, my least favorite voice on the show comes from Will Arnett, BoJack himself.

The show is okay, but it's not a true discovery, like Rick And Morty was.  Based on what I heard, I was hoping for more.

3 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

I always wondered about that one. The online ads for it always froze my screen so I have avoided it.

Did you ever write about "Flight of the Conchords"?- I just started watching it online and while its slow and I am not a big fan of the hipster tunes, its enjoyable absurdity. I'm only into about 5-6 episodes but Murray ("present") is my favorite character.

9:44 AM, April 14, 2016  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I've mentioned the show a number of times in the blog, but only in passing. I liked it, but didn't love it.

12:26 PM, April 14, 2016  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hermes outlet
supreme hoodie
bape outlet
hermes outlet
kyrie 8

4:13 AM, January 24, 2024  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter