Saturday, May 14, 2016

Saturday Night Is The Swinginest Night Of The Week

When I was a kid I couldn't wait for Saturday evening.  I was too little to go outside, but it meant it was time for my favorite show, Hockey Night In Canada on CBC. (That's the Canadian channel--I grew up in Detroit.)

I was thinking about this recently since, for the first time in decades, no Canadian team made it into the Stanley Cup playoffs.  That must have hurt the ratings of HNIC.

So I had to hear the stirring theme (aka, the other Canadian National Anthem):



It still gets to me.  But listening to it, it reminded me of another theme song I heard during my youth:



I hear distinct similarities.  Enough to sue?  Probably not. But if you're wondering, the HNIC theme was written in 1968, the Electric Company theme in 1971.

6 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

Hmm. Some similarity but I have a hard time hearing through the kids voices. But the Hockey Night theme (which I'll admit to never having heard before) sounds a lot like a generic Saturday afternoon movie theme from era. Not bad but it definitely makes me think of a time period

3:57 AM, May 14, 2016  
Blogger LAGuy said...

So you didn't get the CBC out in Pittsburgh? Too bad. The city was a hockey town and probably would have loved Hockey Night In Canada.

12:05 PM, May 14, 2016  
Blogger New England Guy said...

Pittsburgh didn't really go nuts for hockey until Mario Lemieux came (late 80s?). The Penguins had one or two playoff years in the 70s and the UHF station televised them but it was not really that popular- something to do between football and baseball. When I was in the Cub scouts, I remember we could take the whole troop at the last minute get good seats really cheap. I still have some Penguins gear somewhere. They were about as popular as World Team Tennis

2:46 PM, May 14, 2016  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CG here, as far as you know.

I can't decide if it should be "swingingest" or not. "Swinginest" just feels a little too fast.

3:16 PM, May 14, 2016  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I'm sorry, but "swingingest" doesn't work. It looks like "swing-ingest," which sounds like a form of acid reflux.

4:58 PM, May 14, 2016  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really? Sounds like "Swingin' gest" to me, which sounds like a pretty good time. But those of us in the Midwest are known for our hip, easygoing ways, in contrast to you uptight West Coasters.

SWMBCg, etc.

10:35 AM, May 16, 2016  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter